Sunday, November 23, 2014

Not so good

        We read Down on the Island by Jim Cooper and he talk about is experiences about been a profesor in UPR of Mayaguez. In a very brief summery he said that english in PR have a big problem because of teachers. I would like to tell you my story and how I feel about this. I came from a public school and I have to say.... the english curriculum is BAD. All that I know is because my dad speak english (he live in USA and also he is a veteran of the NAVY) and second I live rock music, video game, books and movies and all of them are in english. Those are the reason I know a little bit more english than most of the rest of puertoricans.
             Why? well... that is easy, teachers in PR (not all of them) are not well prepared to be teaches. Jim give us a few examples like when he visits a school and saw that the teacher was teaching  "He’s taking his lunch” instead of “He’s eating his lunch”. Other experience I would love to share is that thing about the teacher teaching wrong the subject happened to me in grade 11. On that grade we are already old enough to now that something is wrong with the teacher and we were like "excuse me teacher but that is wrong" but what if that happens on 3th grade? Those kids will never know how to learn english in a correct way. We need to do nothing about this now! This is our future and we need to protect our children not only from violence but also from stuff like this. If we want a good Puerto Rico we need to start from the beginning and schools are the principal place of knowledge, we need to make it worth it.  

4 comments:

  1. I really liked the example that you gave. Certainly, a child will learn what the teacher is are teaching, but sometimes they are teaching so bad! These are things that can be avoided and work on time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But yes! I agree, we need to invest more in English Teachers and Professors.

    PS: After "the teacher was teaching" and before "We need to do", the text doesn't show up since it's white highlighted with white.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, this country's education system needs a serious reform.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that we need better prepared educators in the school systems of our island. It is the first step toward improving our island's current condition.

    ReplyDelete