Tuesday, November 25, 2014

The Rum Diary


       The movie is about this journalist (Paul) take a job in the newspaper of PR. He's job on the newspaper was the horoscope! The time pass and he start to see the real "Puerto Rico". I want to stop here because I want to because something. This part remains me of a book that I wrote a few blogs in here (you can check out if you want) of Jamaica Kincaid's. She said in her book that tourist never see the real soul of the place, everything that you see on a vacation is like a cover. Paul was a tourist but then he start to see what is the real Puerto Rico. Obviously,  he can't wrote about that because that would be bad for the tourism.

        I saw this movie so long time ago on the cinema. I remember that I was very exited abut the movie for 2 reasons: 1) Johnny Depp 2) the setting is in Puerto Rico! I also remember when they were recording this movie on PR, I'm very glad to have those memories.
       When you are a tourist you are part of the glamour. For example, Do you believe that in France there is no poor people? France is not only the capital of fashion is also the home of a lot of people that fight every day for survive one more day. The poverty in France is the 15% of the total population. What I'm trying to say is that no one care about that, no one want to read those things, no one want to travel a place with problems, so they cover everything with a little bit of lipstick and mascara.

3 comments:

  1. That aspect of the movie certainly reminded me as well of Kincaid's book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sugar coating things never solves problems.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tourists sometimes just want to escape their reality and travel in search of a paradise. A person's paradise is some other person's misery.

    ReplyDelete